As we’re coming to a close on 2016 here in Connecticut, you may be setting some goals, aspirations and ideas for 2017. When it comes to the home, it can be overwhelming thinking about how to budget, plan and redesign your space. Here are some ideas to get you in the New Year mode, whether you live in Fairfield, New Haven, Middlesex or New London.
Turn Your Spare Room into a Walk-in Closet
Do you have an extra storage space that you never use? Or that “office” that only gets used twice a year? Turn it into a walk-in closet! Building a walk-in closet not only better organizes your belongings; it will give you a luxurious space you’ll actually want to spend time in. Put your most prized possessions on display instead of thrown in the back of your cluttered closet. Here are some walk-in closet accessories for inspiration:
- Jewelry drawer inserts
- Designated shelves
- Decorative hardware and glass shelves
- Center island and bench seating
Build a Beautiful Home Office
No more counter top or kitchen table working! It’s time you built a beautiful home office for yourself. Whether you prefer a quiet, corner desk or a collaborative workspace, there are many ideas for you to work with. Here are some pointers to help you stay organized, inspired and focused:
- Build custom-designed bookshelves that store large or small collectibles
- Build a counter surface that provides a workspace for collaboration
- Add lower desk cabinets to conceal office supplies and tech accessories
- Build upper storage cabinets to allow easy access to supplies
- Add a keyboard tray or sliding drawer that’s tucked away when not in use
- Build floating shelves to display collectibles
- Add a murphy bed to double the space as a guest room when friends or family are in town
Build an Entertainment Center
Make Netflix nights, movie nights and entertaining guests that much more enjoyable by installing a built-in or TV entertainment center. The best part is that it also doubles as storage! If you have kids, you can attest that no matter what, toys will clutter the living room. Installing extra drawer and cabinet space in your entertainment center will discreetly hide them away from guests (or for your own sanity). Here are some accessory ideas for your entertainment or media center:
- Floor to ceiling slab doors for a sleek look while optimizing space.
- Open shelving to display collectibles
- Cubbies for extra storage
- Push-to-open hardware that’s easy to use
- LED lighting to display items
Redesign Your Laundry Room
Do you dread going into your laundry room? Or are you just indifferent about it? The laundry room doesn’t just have to be a place for the washer/dryer: it can double as a craft area or mudroom. Discreetly store cleaners, shoes and more with drawers and install counter tops for easy folding and craft making. Here are some other ideas:
- Buy baskets and bins to make sorting laundry easy
- Install cabinetry and shelves to store laundry detergents, cleaning supplies and towels
- Add pullout racks for linens and vertical shelf dividers for mops and brooms
- Install a pullout ironing board that’s hidden
- Install drawers and doors to provide concealed storage
And lastly, the best thing you can do to plan for your new home in 2017 and to enlist the help of the professionals from California Closets of Connecticut. California Closets has been building storage solutions and custom closets for nearly four decades, and believes great design transforms people’s lives. Schedule your free in-home design consultation today.
GET STARTED NOW >
California Closets provides a range of unique and beautiful custom closets, closet organizers, and closet storage systems for any room in the home. Call us at (203) 924-8444 or visit our Norwalk showroom to get a firsthand look at the systems, finishes, and accessories offered.