Help Me! My Master Bedroom Closet Is Taking Over!
Kathy was always stressed. Both she and her husband George work full-time, have three kids, and a seemingly never-ending "to do" list. Realizing that the clutter in their home wasn't making anything more relaxing, the couple from Lansing, Michigan, decided to take matters into their own hands, starting with the master bedroom closet.
How Master Bedroom Closets Can Be Tamed: One Couple's Story
We started out making a list of questions about what we wanted our closet to be and do. I'd recommend anyone wanting to change the design or organization of master bedroom closets to do the same. These included:
- What kind of storage do we already have? What is working and what isn’t?
- Who needs more or less space in our shared master bedroom closet?
- Do we want to change the existing built-in closet or add storage using an armoire or other type of external closet?
- Would it be best to use a combination of the closet along with a separate dresser? Would incorporated storage be the best for our master bedroom closet with something like a wardrobe or walk-in closet?
- How many shelves and/or drawers do we need?
- What do we want to hang up? What do we want to store folded?
- How much hanging space do we want?
- What do we want to do with neckties, boots, shoes, handbags, and other accessories?
By answering these questions, George and I made some important decisions. We decided against the trend of his and hers walk-in closets, opting to stay with a combined master bedroom closet. He likes to keep most of his clothes folded while I like my dresses and blouses to hang. We'd seen sliding drawers for accessories and one design that I loved put shoes closer to eye-level instead of on the floor.
Prepared with our needs and wants, it was easy to talk with a professional designer so we could make our dreams reality. The process was relatively painless; we even managed to purge unneeded "treasures" like George's bright green disco pants or my terrible 80s formal wear.
Now It's Your Turn to Create Practical Master Bedroom Closets
California Closets Design Consultants are expert in crafting solutions that are able transform your home. From master bedroom closets to kitchen cupboards, by keeping everything organized, we'll make clutter a thing of the past.