How to Turn Your Drab Media Center into a Stylish Display
This stunning black and white Virtuoso media center is the perfect fit for a lover of sleek, contemporary design.
Do you have a lot of entertainment equipment that needs to be concealed? That doesn’t mean you have to settle for a boring design. The style and finishes you choose can turn a drab media center into a stylish display.
Consider these tips when having a media center designed for your space.
1. Choose a finish that best represents your style
- Tend towards light and bright spaces? Smooth finishes like white and cream create a spacious and airy feeling.
- For a feeling of coziness, considerd textured wood finishes, like our Italian-inspired Lago® line. These rich finishes will make your media center look more substantial while still working with a variety of styles, from traditional to contemporary.
- Want to mix in color too? Wood grain finishes work well in many different spaces. Your home may already feature a certain type of wood in the molding, trim or flooring. Match the wood grain finish of your media center to the wood The woodgrains allow themselves to make the media center look like it has been there for years; and you can paint the room with a contrasting color to give the space a new updated look.
2. Design the details
- Adding in cabinet doors with unique pieces like our Ecoresin® line can give your media center a dramatic accent. You can choose anything from bamboo pieces to a deep brocade to add some visual interest. These selections will make it an original piece of your own and are guaranteed to get questions from your guests!
- To really pull together a look, whether it's contemporary or traditional, consider adding on or taking away. For example, adding crown molding can give your media center design a more traditional feel. A system with flat panels will have clean straight lines that reflect a modern look.
- To make the most of your media center consider incorporating open display areas for you to show off your design style. This would be a great spot to display books you enjoy, vases, collectibles and even family photos and precious heirlooms. By adding your personal touches to the piece gives it style and a look that is all your own.
Your media center solution will not only help to organize your entertainment equipment it can also help enhance your décor.
Take a look at some of these examples of custom media centers for inspiration in designing your own!
This media center goes from basic to beautiful with the insertion of Ecoresin panels in the upper cabinetry. This unique touch paired with display shelving and subtle storage makes for a lovely and functional design.
With an elegant Milano Grey finish and raised-panel cabinets, this media center design manages to integrate both traditional and modern elements. The open shelving allows for tasteful displays of meaningful items.
From our exclusive Virtuoso collection, this contemporary design is minimalist and welcoming at the same time.
The Cognac finish creates a red-toned warmth for this family room, while the variety of cabinets, drawers and shelves allow for plenty of functional storage space.
The raised panels and rich Chocolate Peartree finish create a sophisticated, traditional look.
Clean, straight lines and a crisp white finish, give this contemporary design an open, spacious feel.
Ashley Travers is a customer liaison for the Albany/Syracuse California Closets. She has a bachelor’s degree in interior design and uses her knowledge and skills to help deliver the California Closets experience. She introduces clients to the functional storage systems in the California Closets Syracuse Showroom.